Monday, April 21, 2014

Garden Party Place Cards

























My garden is just starting to sprout, but the resident rabbits are already out in full force. Some gardeners think they're a nuisance, but I think rabbits are too cute to be pests. I suspect my tolerant attitude is rooted in my many childhood readings of "The Tale of Peter Rabbit" and "Rabbit Hill." It was Beatrix Potter's charming stories that gave me the idea for this week's project. Crafted from paper and ribbon, these simple cards make the perfect place markers for a garden party.

For the "Beatrix" card, I folded a piece of brown card stock in half and decorated the front with a row of green cabbages. To make each cabbage, I cut a circle from lightweight green paper, and then cut the circle into a spiral. Beginning with the outside edge, I rolled the paper strip together tightly, working toward the center to create a rose--or in this case, cabbage--shape. I let each cabbage unwind slightly before gluing it to the card with tacky glue. I stamped the name on cream card stock with brown ink and layered it over a strip of textured paper and green gingham ribbon.

To make the "Peter" card I used card stock in beige and an assortment of greens. I used a paper punch to make the peas and stamped the guest's name on some of the peas with brown ink. After I glued the peas onto pea pod backgrounds, I arranged them on the card. To give the design some dimension, I attached one pea pod and some extra peas with glue, and then used foam tape to attach the stamped pod. Two green twist ties make the pods' curly vines. To finish, I added a trim of textured paper and gingham ribbon to match the "Beatrix" card. 

The cards make pretty keepsakes as is, but if you want to give your guests something extra, tape a packet of seeds inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment