Monday, October 13, 2014

Mad Scientist Bookmarks


Part of my annual October ritual is watching as many classic sci-fi movies as I can before Halloween. My favorites involve creatures produced through science run amok--Them!, The Fly, The Killer Shrews--you get the idea. In the spirit of misguided scientific experimentation, I created these mad scientist bookmarks. You can make them as favors for a children's Halloween party, or--if you're a sci-fi fan like me--use them to mark your place in your copy of The Day of the Triffids.

To make the microscope slide bookmarks, I used scissors and hole punches to create germs and squiggly creatures from colored paper. I arranged the pieces on a strip of clear adhesive-backed paper and added eyes--white punched-paper circles dotted with black-ink pupils. If you want to give your bookmark a name tag like I did, cut a small square of white vellum, write a name on it with permanent marker, and place it at the top of the "slide." Seal the bookmark with another layer of adhesive-backed paper, punch a hole in the top, and add a knotted cord or yarn.


Although they are not scientifically accurate, the round bookmarks are supposed to look like petri dishes (remember bio class?) filled with microscopic creatures. I used a circle of white vellum for the base of each design and arranged paper germs, glitter, and snippets of ribbon, thread, and feathers on top. When I liked the way the arrangement looked, I added a circle of adhesive-backed paper to hold all the pieces in place. If you have no need for petri dish bookmarks, use them as coasters at your Halloween party instead.





2 comments:

  1. I love this diy! It's equal parts spooky and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea. I like the theme too :) I am visiting from the #HomeMattersParty!

    ReplyDelete