Monday, December 15, 2014

Crocheted Icicle Garland

Aside from early adventures with crayons and construction paper, crochet was the first craft I learned. I think I was seven when my grandmother patiently guided me through a pot holder made from gray Aunt Lydia's Rug Yarn. This sparkly crocheted garland is even easier to make than a pot holder--and, I think, a lot prettier. If you can chain stitch and count, you have all the skills you need.

You can find plastic "crystal" teardrop beads like the ones shown here at a craft store. I used purple embroidery floss and a size 10 steel crochet hook, but you can use crochet thread and a hook of your choice. Just make sure the point of the hook fits through the hole in the beads. 


To make the garland, chain 50 stitches and add a bead: push the point of the hook through the bead's hole, wrap the crochet thread around the hook, and then pull it back through the hole and through the stitch on the hook. Chain 30 and add another bead. That's all there is to it. Keep chain-stitching and adding beads until the garland is the length you want (or, like me, you run out of beads). End the garland with 50 chain stitches. Hang your finished "icicle" garland on your Christmas tree or drape it around a mirror or window.

Tip: To keep the garland from tangling, wrap it around a cardboard tube for storage. 


No comments:

Post a Comment