Monday, December 22, 2014

Stamped Christmas Gift Tags

My favorite rubber stamps represent images from nature--like the gorgeous snowflake stamp from PSX that inspired these holiday gift tags. And since heat-embossing is pretty much my favorite rubber-stamping technique, I used metallic embossing powder to show off the stamp's details and give the project a rich look.


Like so many of my projects, this one uses craft materials I have on hand--card stock, snowflake-print decorative paper, ribbon, tulle, beads, and other trims. Each design starts with a tag cut from white card stock. I glued a piece of decorative paper to the front; on the back I stamped small snowflakes (with another stamp from PSX) and "To" and "From" with stamps from Serendipity Stamps. 

Now comes the fun part. I stamped a large snowflake over the decorative paper with an embossing pad, sprinkled it with embossing powder, and then shook away the excess. To make the embossing powder work its magic, I applied a heat tool to the powder until it melted and turned shiny. If you're new to heat-embossing, follow the manufacturer's directions carefully and remember that the heat tool gets really hot. When the embossing powder is cool, which only takes a minute, it's time to put the finishing touches on the tag.

I added an eyelet to the top of each tag and then chose embellishments that complemented the decorative paper I had used. For the pretty tags shown here I used purple and pink satin ribbon, pastel blue tulle, faux crystal beads, and paillettes. If you prefer a more traditional palette, trim your tag with red and green ribbon and tiny jingle bells.




No comments:

Post a Comment