Thursday, January 29, 2015

A Snowflake Story


I finished reading the novel The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey a few weeks ago, and I haven't stopped thinking about it. It's about Jack and Mabel, homesteaders in 1920s Alaska who can't have a child of their own. Without giving away too much, I can tell you that a young girl does come into their lives after they build a snow child during a storm.

I loved the story and the author's descriptions of the wilderness setting, but the element that sticks in my memory the most is the coat Mabel sews for the girl. It's described as being made from blue wool with white fur trim and snowflakes embroidered with white silk.

I finally got around to trying my hand at stitching snowflakes this week. I guess all the talk of snowstorms inspired me. I didn't have any white silk, so I used embroidery floss and blue felt. The effect isn't as enchanting as Mabel's coat, but I think I satisfied my urge to sew snowflakes--for now, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment