Monday, January 19, 2015

Recycled Greeting Card




If you're like me, you can't bear to throw away pretty gift wrap and greeting cards. I always have a stash on hand, waiting to be put to good use. I think this project vindicates my hoarding habit. It's an any-occasion card made from--you guessed it--recycled cards and wrapping paper.


I started by choosing papers and cards that share a similar green-blue-brown palette and then cut circle shapes from them. (My circles are 1¼" and ¾" in diameter.) 


I arranged the circles on a 4¾"-by-6¾" piece of shimmery card stock, which is actually the envelope from a wedding invitation. The arrangement is simple, just small circles on large circles, but it took me the better part of an hour to get the mix of patterns and colors just right. When I was finally happy with the design, I used double-stick tape to attach the circles to the background. 

As a finishing touch, I added small brass fasteners to some of the circles as accents. For the final step, I taped the design to a blank 5"-by-7" card. 

I think I'll make more of these. Someone is always having a birthday or anniversary in my family. And I haven't even begun to put a dent in my paper stash. I'm sure I can come up with all sorts of color combinations.






2 comments:

  1. What a great idea, Kath! I'm going to try it! Lynn Cruickshank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lynn! Please send me a picture if you do.

    ReplyDelete