Monday, February 23, 2015

Cross-Stitch Bluebird Pin



Thanks to Valentine's Day and Chinese New Year, the blog has been pretty heavy on red this month. I love red, but I'm ready for a calmer color. How about blue?

This little bluebird pin makes me think of spring. It's cross-stitched with DMC floss and mounted in a pin setting from the Etsy shop Kailea. I know I've used these settings in blog projects before, but I really like them. They're easy to use and they give the design a finished look. 

I cross-stitched the design on 18-count Aida; it measures about 2 1/4" by 3/4" inches. If you use 11-count Aida, it will about 4" by 1 1/4"; 14-count will give you a design that's about 3" by 1". Just choose a setting or frame that fits the finished piece.

Cross-Stitch Bluebird Chart     ©2015 Kathleen Berlew
To make your own bluebird on a branch, use two strands of embroidery floss and follow the chart below or click here to download and print a copy of the chart. These are the colors I used: #938 (brown for the branch), #702 and #699 (light and dark green for the leaves), #597 (blue for the bird) and #726 (yellow for the beak). I also used a single strand of black floss (#310) to backstitch the outline of the bird and his eye. You can use any colors you have in your stash. There are only five colors plus black in the design, so you really can't go wrong.

I like this design so much, I adapted it to make a new banner for the blog. See those two cute birds at the top of the page? I guess you can tell I'm really looking forward to spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment