Monday, February 2, 2015

Heart Charm Bracelet


When I realized how many heart baubles had accumulated in my bead box, I decided it was time to finally do something with them. The result is this cute heart bracelet, which I made just in time for Valentine's Day.

So where are the hearts from? Some are from pieces of broken jewelry, like the sparkly rhinestone and pearl charm. It was part of a pin that was one of my go-to accessories in the '80s. (It was in style then, I think.) Other hearts are leftovers from projects gone by. To get the hearts ready for stringing, I gave them hanging wires and dressed them up with more beads.

And now for the easy part -- crocheting the beads onto a strand of narrow red ribbon. I used a steel crochet hook small enough to fit through the wire loops, chained five chain stitches, and added the first bead by crocheting right through the loop. I attached the remaining beads the same way, making five chain stitches between them. Before I finished the chain I made sure the bracelet fit around my wrist (it's a Valentine present for myself). No fancy jewelry techniques for attaching the clasp and ring; I just tied them to the ends of the chain and wove the extra ribbon into the stitching.


No comments:

Post a Comment