Monday, March 9, 2015

Cross-Stitched Irish Flag


St. Patrick's Day is a major celebration in my family. Actually, it's more of a season than a one-day holiday. The big event is my mother's annual dinner, where we eat corned beef, cabbage, colcannon and soda bread, drink Irish coffee and Bailey's, and wear our green. 

I planned on cross-stitching an Irish flag pin to wear this St. Patrick's Day. I knew I wanted the design to include a shamrock, the colors of the flag, and some Celtic-style patterns, but by the time I did that it was too big to be a pin. As you can see from the photo above, I ended up framing it instead of wearing it.


To make your own cross-stitched flag, just follow the chart below or click here to download and print a copy of the chart. I stitched the design with DMC floss in snow white (#B5200), Christmas green (#699), and orange spice (#742), but you can use any green and orange floss you like. The fabric is 18-count Fiddler's Aida. I used an oatmeal shade so the white floss would stand out.

Cross-Stitched Irish Flag    ©2015 Kathleen Berlew

By the way, the background I used for the photo is an Aran sweater I knitted for my husband when we were dating -- about 27 years ago! He brings it out once a year to wear to our St. Patrick's Day festivities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment