Monday, March 16, 2015

St. Patrick's Day Welcome Cards


I'm continuing my St. Patrick's Day celebration this week with another Irish-themed project. "Failte" is a Gaelic word that means "welcome," which I thought would be the perfect sentiment to stamp on these table decorations.


Each tag is made from four different layers. First, I used letter stamps to print "Failte" on beige paper. I cut those out, leaving just a small border around the letters, and then cut slightly larger rectangles from sage green card stock. To create an aged, metallic look, I dabbed a stiff paintbrush onto a copper ink pad and applied the ink to the edges of the sage rectangles. To make the patterned background paper, I used green ink to stamp two different Celtic knot rubber stamps (these are from All Night Media) onto a sheet of beige paper. I cut a piece from the patterned paper that's a bit bigger than the sage rectangles.

Assembling the tags requires no fancy craft supplies, just double-stick tape. For each tag, I taped a "Failte" rectangle to a copper-edged sage rectangle, and then taped that to the patterned background rectangle. The whole thing then gets taped to an even larger rectangle of green card stock. My paper has a pretty linen texture.

I used a small hole punch and twine to add hanging loops to the tags so they can be used as ornaments. The copper swirls are made from some extra wire I had in my craft supply stash. I just threaded the swirls onto the twine before I knotted it.  


So you're not a rubber stamper, but you'd like to make your own "Failte" table decorations? No problem. Instead of using letter stamps, hand-write "Failte" or use a Celtic font on your computer. You can substitute Irish-themed decorative paper for the hand-stamped background. Tomorrow's the big day, so you better get busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment