Monday, April 13, 2015

Fabric-Covered Orbs


Our kitchen has a sort of French Country-meets-bistro style that includes bright red cabinets, old and new furniture, and Provencal fabrics. I made chair covers, a valance, and small pillows from the fabrics, but I wanted to make sure I used every scrap of the pretty prints. I came up with these fabric-covered orbs that are simple, inexpensive versions of the decorative balls you can find in home design stores.


When I say that anyone can do this project, I really mean it. Just cut long, straight strips from fabric that are about 1/2" to 3/4" wide, and then use straight pins to attach them to smooth Styrofoam balls. I used pins with colored heads that blend in with the colors of my fabrics. Pin the end of one strip to the ball to start and then wrap it around the ball, adding pins as you go. The goal is to cover all of the foam with fabric strips, using as few pins as possible. When one strip ends, attach another and continue working around the ball. You may have to readjust the strips and pins as you work so the fabric lays flat, but that's all there is to it.


When your fabric-covered orbs are finished, you can display them on a shelf or in a bowl or basket. Just make sure keep them away from children; those pins can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

6 comments:

  1. Very cute. I love the fabrics. I made a bowl full of fabric covered orbs with fabric that coordinated with my living room, and enjoyed them for several years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that looks great! This is a great project for using remnants of favorite fabrics.

      Delete
  2. The orbs are neat! Do you have to leave the pins in them, or can you glue the fabric on them instead?
    Thanks for linking up with Idea Box!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could certainly try gluing them, but I like to use pins because they give me a lot of control as I layer the fabric strips. As I mentioned above, just be sure to keep them away from little ones. Thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  3. So cute! I love that you can dress these up to suit your own taste :) Thank you for sharing with Idea Box link party! Hope to see again next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Yes, this is definitely an easy, anything-goes project.

    ReplyDelete