Monday, April 6, 2015

Mad Men-Inspired Coasters


"Mad Men" is back--finally--for its last seven episodes (six, after last night). I've been following the adventures of Don Draper, Peggy Olson, and the rest of the characters since the first season, but I could never predict where the story was going to go each season. I have no idea what will happen in these final episodes, but I suspect that more than a few cocktails will be consumed. So for this week's blog project, I made some retro coasters as a tribute to the end of the "Mad Men" era. 


The coasters are a super-simple project. You only need mat board or very heavy cardboard, clear adhesive-backed paper, felt, and some retro images. My pictures are from an old design book from a library sale and a 1967 "McCall's" pattern catalog that belonged to my grandmother. You can use images from old magazines or printouts from the Internet.


The first step is cutting the coasters from the mat board. I simplified this process by using a coaster I already had (it's about 3½" square) as a template and tracing it onto the cardboard. Cut out a cardboard square for each coaster you're making (I made eight), and then cut out matching squares from the retro pictures. 


To attach a picture to each coaster, cut a square from the adhesive-backed paper that's about an inch larger all around than the cardboard square. Place a picture on a cardboard square, peel the backing off the adhesive paper and press it over the picture. Flip the coaster over, trim the corners of the clear paper, and fold it onto the back of the coaster. You can smooth bubbles on the front of the coaster with a small ruler.


Use tacky craft glue to attach a felt square to the back of each coaster. I placed mine between sheets of waxed paper and weighted them under heavy books so they dried flat.

I've been using my coasters for a few weeks, and they're holding up quite well. They should definitely get me through the next six weeks so I can find out what happens to Don Draper.

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely love them! Pinning.

    xx
    Mila (Idea Box)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I am a Mad Men addict, but I wish they hadn't taken so long between seasons, makes you lose the thread and the impact after awhile~ so smart to use an old pattern book for artwork~
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of using the old pattern catalog for making the coasters, so creative! Thank you for sharing with Idea Box link party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your coasters are awesome! Thank you for linking up with Idea Box!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, ladies! And I know what you mean, Jenna. I had to refresh my memory on some characters after Sunday night's episode.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool. Pinned and tweeted. We appreciate you being a part of our party. Please stop by on Monday at 7 pm. Happy Saturday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete