Monday, May 11, 2015

Bird Family Cross-Stitch Pin


Another cross-stitch pin this week! This one has a colorful little family of birds on it. I stitched it on 18-count white Aida with DMC floss: Rose #335, Turquoise #597, Chartreuse #703, Topaz #725, Medium Rose #899, Dark Navy Blue #939, and Light Blue Green #3813. Click here to download and print a copy of the chart.

I design my cross-stitch charts with a software program called Pattern Maker for Cross-Stitch. When I like the way the design looks, I print it out and start stitching. I almost always make adjustments to the designs when I make them for the first time, so I just mark my changes on the hard copy and update the file when I'm finished.


Like the other pins I've featured on my blog, this one uses a setting from the Etsy shop Kailea. I put together this picture tutorial to show you how I mount my embroidery in the settings. First, I iron a small piece of fusible interfacing to the wrong side of the embroidery to stabilize it. Next, I center the back plate over the embroidery and trace around it with disappearing fabric marker. I cut along the line with sharp scissors and place the embroidered fabric piece in the frame and fit the back plate over it. The pin back then fits on top of the back plate, and I use nylon-nose pliers to clamp the prongs over to hold the backing in place.  

6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! I would love for you to link up at the Stitch It, Blog It, Share It Link Party at BehindtheSeamsSewing.com. It's going on now.
    ~Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie, and thanks for the invitation. I'll see you there!

      Delete
  2. Kathleen, thank you for the pattern and tutorial! I have tried to use pattern making software without much success (I think I get frustrated and give up too quickly...not giving myself time to get past the learning curve!) I will check out Pattern Maker for Cross Stitch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very welcome, Joy! I really love Pattern Maker. Once you get the hang of it, it really makes designing fun and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks incredible! Pinned and tweeted. We appreciate you taking the time to party with us. I hope to see you tonight at 7 pm.. Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete