Monday, May 25, 2015

Felt Daisy Pillow


This pretty pillow combines some of my crafting obsessions: wool-blend felt, embroidery floss, and a gray-and-gold color palette. The design may look a little complicated, but it's really easy if you take it one step at a time. You'll need felt (I used wool-blend felt sheets from Sweet Emma Jean, one of my favorite Etsy shops), white and gold embroidery floss, polyester fiberfill, and fabric for the pillow back. 

The first step is cutting out the felt pieces. Click here to download and print the daisy petal and daisy center patterns. Cut 8 daisy petals from white felt, and 1 daisy center from dark gray felt. Also cut the following pieces:

Diagram 1

From heather gray: Two 5¾" squares
From gold: Two 5¾" squares
From dark gray: two 1 ¼" by 11" strips and two 1¼" by 12 ½" strips

Diagram 2
Now it's time to assemble the pillow pieces. Following diagram 1, sew the pillow background pieces together using matching sewing thread or floss and ¼" seam allowance. Sew each of the gold squares to a heather gray square, then sew the gold-heather gray strips together to create a checkerboard pattern. Sew the gray strips to the edges of the checkerboard square as shown to create the pillow border.




When the background of the pillow front is finished, it's time to work on the daisy. Following diagram 2, sew the daisy center and petals to the pillow front. Use two strands of gold embroidery floss to backstitch the concentric circle details on the daisy center and a wavy pattern on the border (see photos). With white embroidery floss, embroider the backstitch details on the daisy petals.

Now cut a 12½" square of fabric for the pillow back. I used a gray cotton print, but you could use also use felt or another coordinating fabric. Pin the pillow front and back together, right sides facing. Sew the pieces together with ¼" seam allowance, leaving an opening for turning. Trim the corners, turn the pillow right side out, and stuff it with fiberfill. Stitch the opening closed, and your pillow is finished! Just find a cozy corner in your home to show it off. 

Close-ups of the embroidery details and the fabric I used for the back of the pillow.

24 comments:

  1. I love the colors and I especially love the detail stitched on the petals and the center! Fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, what a cute project! I'd love to make some for my house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful detail and I love the colors. I'd like to invite you to share this project or any of your projects on The Inspiration Board at my blog homework. I've been hosting my party for over 4 years and would love for you join.
    I hope to see you there! http://www.carolynshomework.com/2015/05/the-inspiration-board-creative-party_26.html

    carolyn : homework

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Carolyn, and thanks for the invitation to your fabulous link party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for dropping by my blog today, Kathleen :) I love your pillow--the design, the colors, all of it. It's SO graphically pleasing--you did a great job with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. Love your blog--and the Adirondacks--so I'll be a frequent visitor.

      Delete
  6. It looks fabulous and must feel great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yep, I love the feel of felt.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I really like this combination because I think it can work year-round. Glad you like it too!

      Delete
  8. I love the colors and the stitching! Very pretty. Stopping by from the What's Making your Life Awesome hop. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for visitinga You have great weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such a great pillow! Thanks for sharing at Idea Box. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Danielle, and thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  11. I love the embroidery! Such a lovely cushion :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Gorgeous! This looks incredible! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see you tonight at 7 pm, so we can party with you! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberly . . . I wouldn't miss it!

      Delete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful creativity on The Inspiration Board at homework. I loved your project and featured you.
    http://www.carolynshomework.com/2015/06/the-inspiration-board-spotlight-208.html
    carolyn ~ homework

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for featuring my pillow Carolyn, and thank you for hosting!

      Delete
  14. This is such a cool pillow! I can see this in several different color combinations on my sofa:) Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Wendi! I think I might make a few in different colors too.

    ReplyDelete