Thursday, May 14, 2015

Knit and Crochet Your Veggies!

I'm not much of a vegetable gardener. I have better luck with herbs and perennials. But I do like making vegetables from felt, floss, and yarn. The teeny carrot and radish on the right were crocheted from embroidery floss. I made up the designs as I worked along, so I apologize, but I don't have any written instructions to share with you. I honestly don't know how amigurimi artists keep track of all those little stitches!

I knitted the crop of vegetables in the photos below with double knitting wool-blend yarn. I found the patterns--which are way beyond my knitting design skills--in the awesome book "Knitted Vegetables" by Susie Johns. I'm showing you some of my favorite veggies here, but the book actually contains 20 patterns. They were really fun to make, and I just love how realistic the shapes and textures are. Johns has also published a book of knitted fruit patterns, so I think I'll try my hand at knitted apples and strawberries next.


2 comments: