Monday, June 15, 2015

Crocheted Sea Glass Pendant



I don't get to the beach as often as I'd like, but on one of my visits I found this beautiful piece of sea glass. It's a real treasure--I love its color and texture. I've been keeping it in a bowl of seashells, but I decided it deserves better treatment. The idea for this project came about when I was sorting my box of embroidery floss (one of my favorite activities) and realized that the lovely DMC #3813--Light Blue Green--matches the color of the glass perfectly. One thing led to another, and I ended up with this sea glass pendant.

If you can chain stitch, you can make a pendant like this one. Just remember that, like seashells, no two pieces of sea glass are alike. You'll have to adjust your design according to the glass you use. For best results, use an irregularly shaped piece that has notches that will hold your crochet chains in place.


To begin my pendant, I made a crochet chain that was just long enough to fit snugly around the center of the glass, and then I joined the ends together with a slip stitch. Next, I continued the chain and joined it to the center of the crocheted chain on the front of the pendant. I made several more lengths of crochet chain this way, securing them around the ridges of the glass and joining them to the center of the chains on the back and front. When the glass was contained securely in the crochet chains, I knotted the floss tightly on the back.

Jewelry-making is not one of my strengths, so I kept the construction of the pendant simple. I slipped a silver jump ring through the crocheted chain at the top of the pendant, fastened a second jump ring to the first, and then added a silver box chain. I think a silk cord or piece of twine would look pretty too. 

12 comments:

  1. This is beautiful and I love how you incorporated crochet into the construction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do love how the crocheted floss and glass look together.

      Delete
  2. This is such a fun and pretty idea! Would love if you shared this at our Yarn Fanatic Party - http://eyeloveknots.blogspot.com/2015/06/yarn-fanatic-party-41-join-us-for-some.html.
    Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alexandra, and thanks for the invitation!

      Delete
  3. Love the crochet idea! Two years ago we found a lot of sea glass in St Croix and I made necklaces for the 4 women in our travel group, but I wired the glass…I love this idea as it is softer looking! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti! I really need to collect some sea glass so I can make more of these.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! What a great idea! I have all of the materials to make some of these, I'm adding it to The List. :-) I've been looking for a great way to use and display some of my beach memorabilia. :-)

    I'll be featuring this at this week's Yarn Fanatic Party and sharing on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! So honored to be featured at your link party!

      Delete
  5. So beautiful and simple! We love collected sea glass- my daughter's a pro! Yesterday she picked up a light purple piece. I've never seen one that colour. Needless to say she's guarding it closely. This is a great way to make it into a necklace for her! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like this idea, Jane. Sometimes the simplest projects are the best.

      Delete
  6. I have revisited this sea glass pendant and included it in my 20 Yarn-Tastic Jewelry Projects Round Up. Thanks again for sharing it at our Yarn Fanatic Party :)
    Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.blogspot.com
    Round Up: http://eyeloveknots.blogspot.com/2016/02/20-yarn-tastic-jewelry-projects-yarn.html

    ReplyDelete