Monday, June 1, 2015

Summer Sun Watch


This broken watch has been hanging out in my box of jewelry supplies for several years now. It's missing all of its essential pieces, so it's useless as a timepiece--but it still makes a cute bracelet. And in summer, who really cares what time it is anyway?

I made a tiny cross-stitch sun to fit inside the watch case. You can click here to download and print the Small Sun Cross-Stitch Chart. My watch is pretty small, so I used 22-count Aida fabric so the finished design would fit. If your watch is larger, you can use another fabric--18-count or 14-count, for example--to create a larger sun design. When the stitching is complete, measure the diameter of the opening on the back of the watch and use a disappearing fabric marker to draw a same-size circle around the sun. Cut along the line and fit sun the watch case. 

If your watch still has a back piece, you can snap it in place. My watch didn't have a back, so I used super glue to attach a flat orange button over the opening. For a finishing touch, I made a colorful stem for the bracelet. I slid a yellow seed bead onto a jewelry head pin, cut the pin to fit, and then used super glue to secure it in the stem opening.

That's it! Cute, right? And don't be disappointed if you're not a cross-stitcher. Just substitute a little picture of the sun--one you draw yourself or download from your computer--for the embroidered fabric.


10 comments:

  1. I have so many old watches that are just collecting dust - this is an awesome idea for upcycling them. Thanks for the inspiration. So cute. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! I knew I'd come up for an idea for my broken watch if I held onto it long enough.

      Delete
  2. Wow! It's fantastic idea and it turned out great! An embroidered sun dial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable! I happen to have a couple of watches I could probably do this project with. Thanks for linking up at the Stitch It, Blog It, Share Link Party. I hope you’ll join us every Sunday night at 7 with more of your creative sewing projects.
    ~Bonnie @ Behind the Seams Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bonnie! I've made your link party a regular stop. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute upcycle. I'm loving the too cute colorful stem on the side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendi! That little yellow bead made the perfect replacement for the missing stem.

      Delete
  6. So cute! Thanks for linking up with Idea Box. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danielle. I love visiting the Idea Box each week!

      Delete