Monday, July 27, 2015

Ribbon-and-Charm Bookmarks


I never thought I would say this, but I love my Kindle. It's portable, the font is adjustable, and it's lightweight--which means it doesn't hurt when it falls on my face while I'm reading in bed (this happens more often than I care to admit). But I still love traditional books too. There's nothing like the feel of turning real paper pages as I make my through whatever mystery I'm reading at the moment. Of course, paper books also have the advantage of requiring bookmarks--and I like coming up with new DIY bookmark ideas.


These ribbon-and-charm bookmarks are super simple to make from supplies you probably already have on hand--ribbon and pieces of broken jewelry. You'll also need a few basic jewelry-making supplies: ribbon clamps, jump rings, and needle-nose and nylon-nose pliers.


First, look for pieces of old or broken jewelry that can be used as charms. The bug I used is from a hair clip; the pink flower was once part of a child's necklace. Use the needle-nose pliers and jump rings to attach the charms to the ribbon clamps. (Make sure the clamps match the width of the ribbon you'll be using.) 


Next, cut a piece of ribbon that's twice the desired length of the finished bookmark. Fold the ribbon in half and trim the cut edges so they're nice and even. Hold the two edges together and slide a ribbon clamp over them. Use the nylon-nose pliers to crimp the ribbon clamp in place. Make sure it holds both pieces of ribbon securely. 


If you like, you can iron the bookmark to flatten the fold. Otherwise your charming bookmark is finished. Happy reading!

8 comments:

  1. Hello! We found your post on the Made by you Monday link party! We think your bookmarks are so cute!
    - SincerelyJean.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I will have to make myself a new bookmark. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like them, Cynthia. It really is a super easy project.

      Delete
  3. These would make a lovely homemade present and you can personalise them by using charms that mean something to the recipient. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so sweet! A great little gift idea, which I am always on the lookout for! Thanks for sharing with us at the #HomeMattersParty this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love this! Pinned and tweeted. Thank you so much for bringing such a masterpiece to our party. I hope to see you tonight at 7 pm. We can't wait to party with you! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete