Monday, August 24, 2015

Crocheted Bangle Bracelets


I hang on to a lot of odds and ends that "I'm going to use someday." Jewelry that's broken--or just worn out and tired--is one of my favorite crafting supplies. When I found a pair of plain black plastic bangle bracelets in a jewelry box, I decided they were in need of a makeover. To transform the bangles from boring to beautiful, I just grabbed a skein of metallic embroidery floss and a crochet hook. 


I used a size E hook to crochet around the bangles with the DMC Light Effects floss, which can be tricky to work with. (Its six strands don't always like to stay together.) To begin, wrap the end of the floss around one of the bangles a few times and then started working in single crochet. Just stitch through the center of the bangle as if you were working through a crochet stitch. Cover the starting end of the embroidery floss as you work around the bangle to secure it. 


As you crochet, place the stitches close together so they cover the bracelet completely. When the stitching is finished, cut the floss and knot the last stitch closed. Use a large-eyed needle to conceal the floss ends under the stitches. 


I used DMC Light Effects E168 (silver) to make these bracelets, which I think could be worn in any season. Light Effects comes in all sorts of metallic and pearlescent colors, so I think I'll be looking for more boring bangles that need a facelift. 


12 comments:

  1. These look like fancy and expensive - and so easy to make! I love that you could cut the thread and redo them if you ever want to change the look again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! Great idea about swapping out the floss colors.

      Delete
  2. Ok, these are great. I need to make some of these ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so in love with this! I knew I was holding onto those old bangles for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Same here--I have boxes of odds and ends I don't want to part with because I might find a use for them someday.

      Delete
  4. Very pretty and great choice of colour too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, I just love how these turned out and really want to make my own. But I'm going to need to watch a youtube video because I've never crocheted before. Single crochet is what I should search for?? Happy-almost-September and thank you for swinging by Snickerdoodle Sunday! Hope to see you again this weekend. :)

    Sarah (Sadie Seasongoods)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving this! You are so talented. Thanks for sharing this at our party. Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see you on Monday at 7 pm, so we get to party with you again! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete