Monday, August 3, 2015

Flowery Fabric Pendant


As you probably know if you follow my blog, I'm a bit of a cross-stitch fanatic. But I also love embroidery. To make this pretty pendant, I used a piece of flowery fabric as a guide instead of drawing my own design. I love the way it came out, so I'm probably going to be making a lot more of these.


I started with this small-scale flowery fabric and a pendant setting from the Etsy shop Kailea. I used a fabric marking pen to trace around the frame of the setting so I would know which portion of the design to stitch. 


Then I just popped the fabric in a small embroidery hoop and used three strands of matching floss and backstitch to outline the flowers. I added tiny glass beads to accent the flower centers.


When I was happy with the finished design, I removed the fabric marker lines and mounted it in pendant setting. Small prints definitely work best for this project, so I'll be searching my stash for more fabrics to embroider.

10 comments:

  1. This is brilliant! I hadn't thought of sewing round existing patterns... Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really like the way the embroidery highlights the pattern. Like I said, I'll be making more of these.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks so much! And thanks for pinning!

      Delete
  3. Darling! Love it, and I am really inspired by using the pattern of the fabric as the basis for your design. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily! I'm so glad you like it.

      Delete
  4. Cute! This looks so amazing. Pinned and tweeted. Thank you for bringing such amazing creations to our party. We hope to see you tonight at 7 pm because we LOVE to party with you! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is beautiful!! What a great idea for the floss and bits of fabric I have left over! :)

    ReplyDelete