Monday, November 23, 2015

Cross-Stitched Woodland Sachet


This project combines two of my favorite things--cross-stitching and the scent of pine. I made bunches of cross-stitched woodland sachets like this one a few years ago and gave them as gifts. It's a simple project that uses just four colors of DMC embroidery floss, a small piece of 14-count Aida, a scrap of backing fabric, and a ribbon for hanging. And a few scoops of fragrant pine balsam, of course!

You can follow the chart below or click here to download a free printable chart. Because the design is worked mainly in straight stitches and back stitches, I didn't use symbols on the chart. The pattern uses only four colors of floss--red, brown, and two shades of green--so I think this "stitch" chart is pretty easy to follow. (I hope you're not confused by those little stitches on the birds; they're just quarter and half cross-stitches.)

To stitch the design, start with a 3-inch-by-7-inch piece of 14-count white Aida. Begin your stitching at the center of the fabric (the arrows on the chart indicate the center of the design). I used two strands of floss for all stitching. When the embroidery is complete, press the piece face down on a padded surface. Cut a piece of backing fabric (mine is bright green) the same size as the Aida piece and pin it to the embroidered Aida, right sides facing.

Sew the edges together, leaving an opening at the bottom for turning. I made my lines of stitching two Aida squares beyond the cross-stitched border of the design all around. At the top of the sachet, I sewed a length of green gingham ribbon between the fabric layers to make a hanging loop.

Trim the edges and corners of the fabrics, and then turn the sachet right side out. Fill it with pine balsam, and then whipstitch the opening closed. Now your woodland sachet is ready for hanging--on a Christmas tree, doorknob, or anywhere in your home you'd like to add some Christmas color and fragrance. 

Woodland Sachet   ©2015 Kathleen Berlew


This design originally appeared in the Winter 2013 issue of Crafts 'n Things (now Craft Ideas) magazine. Click here to see the chart and directions on the CI website.


9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this lovely pattern

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Making a few of these would make great presents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty :) Thank you so much for sharing!
    Congratulations, you are being featured in this week's
    Snickerdoodle Mini Round Up!
    Have an awesome day!
    Joanita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanita! I'm so honored to have this project featured in your Mini Round Up!

      Delete
  4. This is so pretty. I haven't cross-stitched,but my grandmother used to do it all the time. The end result of cross stitching is always so beautiful and I've kept all the things my grandmother made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erlene! My grandmother didn't cross-stitch, but she did other types of needlework. I have some of her crewel embroidery pictures hanging in my living room, and I'll be decorating with some of her Christmas ornaments.

      Delete
  5. So pretty, what a gorgeous design, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete