Monday, November 2, 2015

Fall Patchwork Pillow


I have been gradually accumulating a stash of print fabrics, but I realized I've been neglecting them. When I pulled them out to plan a fall project, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had four fabrics that worked perfectly together. I knew I wanted to make something patchwork, and since my living room is in need of a splash of fall color, I decided on a pillow.


The pattern is super simple. I cut four 3 1/2-inch squares (for the center strip) and eight 3 1/2-by-5-inch rectangles for the top and bottom strips. To give the fabric stability, I adhered a piece of iron-on fusible web to each.


After playing around with the pieces for about an hour, I finally settled on an arrangement. Then it was time for the stitching. Using a 1/4-inch seam, I sewed the four square pieces together to make the center strip. To assemble the top and bottom strips, I sewed the long edges of the rectangle pieces together. 


Pretty easy so far, right? To finish the pillow front, I sewed to three strips together, and then pressed the seams flat on the wrong side. I kept the pillow back simple. It's a 12-inch square of the brown print, but if you're feeling ambitious, you can make the back patchwork too. To assemble the pillow, I pinned the front and back together, wrong sides facing, and sewed the top and both side edges closed. Then I turned the pillow right side out, inserted a 12-inch pillow form, and whip-stitched the bottom edge closed.


That's it! My first patchwork pillow is finished and sitting pretty on my love seat. I think I'll be making more to keep it company.

11 comments:

  1. I love how you say that you played around with the fabric arrangement for about an hour - sounds like that took longer than the stitching! That's the kind of thing I would do too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit obsessive when I'm planning a project. Glad to know I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  2. I love your cushion! Great arrangement of fabrics. Thank you so much for sharing :)
    Joanita @ Snickerdoodle Sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind compliment, Joanita. And thanks for hosting Snickerdoodle Sunday!

      Delete
  3. This is such a unique and pretty pillow. I love it. What a great look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That log fabric is fun. And pillows are a great way to add a pop of color. Thanks for sharing with us on the #HomeMattersParty this week. I hope you join us again next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Audrey, and thanks for hosting!

      Delete