Monday, December 7, 2015

Knitted Snowdrift Scarf


If you're a crafter, you're probably not in in "last-minute gifts" territory yet. Christmas is still a few weeks away, so you have plenty of time to put the finishing touches on the handmade presents you've been working on. Maybe you'd even like to start something new. This knitted scarf is easy to make and requires absolutely no concentration. It's worked entirely in garter stitch, so once you cast on, you can just knit back and forth without counting. That's why it's a perfect project to keep your hands busy while you're watching Christmas movies and sipping hot cocoa. 


The secret to the scarf's fluffy look and feel is the yarn--Pipsqueak from Bernat. It's like knitting a cloud. I will give you one bit of advice about working with this yarn: be careful you don't drop any stitches while you're working. The yarn has a loopy texture that makes it hard to see individual stitches after you move them off your needles.


With that said, I'll share the directions for this super-simple scarf. Ready?

Cast on 30 stitches (or desired number). Work in garter stitch (knit every row) until the scarf reaches the length you like. Cast off all stitches.

That's it! No need to block; the garter stitch pattern keeps the edges from curling up. As soon as it comes off your needles--and you've woven in the beginning and ending strands of yarn--your snow scarf is ready for wearing or gift-giving.


5 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this yarn, but I've only crocheted with it... It knits up so beautifully! Very nice scarf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny, I love this yarn too. You crochet with it? I'm impressed! I have a hard time figuring out where to put my hook in all that fluff.

      Delete
    2. Lol, I picked up a ball when I was a beginner, and it was impossible! Over the years, I've practiced and learned to feel the stitches instead of fighting through the furriness.

      Delete
  2. That's so pretty and it looks so soft and cozy! I have GOT to learn how to knit one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my that looks so lovely and fluffy! Thanks for sharing on the #HomeMattersParty . I hope you will join us again next week.

    ReplyDelete