Monday, February 15, 2016

Mini Cross-Stitch Kit


I like tiny things, and I like working on projects that are portable, so I came up with this mini cross-stitch kit. Everything you need to stitch a little busy bees cross-stitch fits inside an Altoids mint tin. Make one for yourself or give it to a stitchy friend.


First, assemble your materials. You'll need an empty Altoids tin, a 3-inch piece of 14-count Aida fabric, an embroidery needle, and DMC six-strand embroidery floss in black (310), light topaz (726), and dark straw (3820). I wound my floss on cardboard bobbins, but you could just use full skeins if you like.


Next, click here to download and print the Cross-Stitch Kit Printable. Cut out the cover picture just outside the yellow line. Trace the top of the Altoid tin on a piece of clear adhesive-backed paper and cut that out too. Place the cover picture on the top of the tin and seal it in place with the adhesive paper. Press the edges down tightly so it stays in place on the lid. Cut out the chart and fold it into thirds.


To assemble the kit, cut a piece of colored paper to fit the inside lid of the tin and fasten it in place with double-stick tape. Attach the needle to the Aida, roll it up, and tuck it inside the tin with the floss. Place the folded chart on top and close the lid. Your mini cross-stitch kit is ready to go. Happy stitching!

10 comments:

  1. I saw this posted on Crafters Corner Cafe Google+ Community page and I had to come check it out. I love it and I hope to make some as little gifts for my craft support group. Thanks for sharing. And thinks for being part of CCC community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol, and thanks so much for visiting my blog! So glad you like my little project.

      Delete
  2. Love the way you repurposed the container. Thanks for sharing with us at Merry Monday. These would be great stocking stuffers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shirley! I love those little Altoids tins.

      Delete
  3. Thank You i'm going to make one for my son & his wife, they are beekeepers. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever idea! Maybe I will start cross-stitching again and make one of these to carry it around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has got to be the cutest craft ever! I found you via Awesome Life Friday. Have a lovely weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you have a great weekend too.

      Delete