Monday, February 1, 2016

X-Stitch Paper Heart Accessories


These perforated paper cross-stitch hearts are simple to make, even if you're a beginning stitcher. They're also very addicting. You can make a bunch in time for Valentine's Day. I glued mine to plain hair clips and pin backings, but you can use them to decorate cards. Or how about refrigerator magnets? Or bulletin board pushpins? The possibilities are endless.


I recently rediscovered how much fun it is to cross-stitch on perforated paper. You can find sheets of this awesome product at craft and fabric stores. Trust me, it's much sturdier than it looks. You stitch on it just like you would on Aida fabric, and when you're finished, you just cut--carefully--around the designs.


Follow the chart above to stitch hearts on the paper. I'm not giving you specific floss colors; just use whatever shades of red, pink, and rose embroidery floss you have on hand. 


I used three strands of floss when I stitched my hearts to cover the paper completely and give the designs a fuller look.


When the stitching was finished, I used a sharp scissors to cut around each heart. Be sure to leave a border around the hearts so the stitches don't come undone.


Aren't they pretty? If you want to show your cross-stitched paper hearts off, you can make them into Valentine's Day accessories. Glue them--or, if you're very patient--sew them to hair clips and pin backings. They make sweet Valentine gifts--but only for adults and older children.


10 comments:

  1. These are so cute and so many different ways they can be used. Thanks for sharing at Snickerdoodle Sunday. Pinned and Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathleen! This are really gorgeous! I love your lovely project! Thanks for sharing great tutorial!
    Hope you have a wonderful week!
    Hugs and love from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ana. I found your blog and it's lovely! (I wish I could read Portuguese.)

      Delete
  3. I can't believe that's paper! Super cute craft! Thanks for linking up to Merry Monday! Sharing on Twitter! Have a great week!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. How adorable! I'd be worried I would get them wet and ruin them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ranee! I've never gotten them wet, but the paper really is much more durable than you might think.

      Delete
  5. This is so cute :) Thank you so much for sharing!
    Congratulations! You are one of my features :)
    Joanita @ Snickerdoodle Sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks Joanita! That's exciting news!

      Delete
  6. Love! Pinned and tweeted! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at our linky party. We hope to see you next Monday @ 7 because we can’t wait to see your new creations! Happy Sunday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are absolutely adorable! I love them! They would look good in anyone's hair.

    Thank you for sharing on the #HomeMattersParty.

    ReplyDelete