Monday, April 4, 2016

Earth-Friendly Ideas for Crafters



April has finally arrived, which means that Earth Day is only a few weeks away. I'm starting the celebration early and sharing a few Earth-friendly ideas from my craft room. I'm a big fan of recycling and repurposing, which means I hate to throw boxes, scraps, and broken things away.


Idea #1: Upcycled Embroidery Floss Bobbins

I admit it. I often choose facial tissue by the design on the boxes. But when those pretty boxes are empty, they have to go in the recycling bin--unless I use them to make embroidery floss bobbins.


I just used a purchased bobbin as a template and traced it onto the tissue box cardboard. After cutting the bobbins out, I punched a hole punch in one end and used scissors to cut two slits in the other. I wrote the floss color number on the plain side--and I recycled the leftover scraps, of course.


Don't they look pretty all wrapped up in floss? I think I'm going to try this with greeting cards and other decorative boxes.


Idea #2: For the Birds

If you're a needleworker like me, you probably produce a lot of fabric, thread, and yarn scraps. Did you know that some backyard birds like to use these scraps when they make their nests? You can hang an onion bag or suet feeder filled with fabric and fiber scraps in a tree where birds can find them. Be sure to keep the strips and strands just a few inches long so birds can't get tangled in them. To see what bird experts have to say about providing nesting materials for birds, visit the websites of The Humane SocietyNational Wildlife Federation, and Bird Watcher's Digest.


Idea #3: Repurposed Teapot Yarn Bowl

If I had a green thumb, I would use this cute teapot--which never poured properly--as a planter. Since I'm much better at knitting and crocheting than I am at growing things, I rescued the teapot from the glassware graveyard and put it to work as a yarn bowl. I just placed a small ball of yarn inside, pulled the end of the yarn through the spout with a crochet hook, and started knitting. It works beautifully! I think I'm going to start looking for other misfit teapots that need some love.

Do you have any Earth-friendly crafting tips? I'd love to hear them! Please share your ideas in the comments section.

17 comments:

  1. I love all of these ideas for Earth Day.
    Thanks for sharing this at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie--and thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  2. We are starting our Earth Day lesson and craft too. We just happened to get curb side recycling in our small village, so it's perfect timing for Earth Day and recycling lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All great ideas! The individual packets of embroidery floss look like something one would pay good money for in a specialty store! Visiting from The Really Crafty Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Victoria. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. What lovely ideas for Earth day. Popping by from the Really Crafty Link party

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these ideas! Was thinking of putting scrap string, etc. for the birds but didn't think of the length. Thus is good to know or I would of put our longer pieces. Love the yard in the teapot idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I'm happy to have found a use for my little blue teapot.

      Delete
  6. Great ideas! I especially liked the bird's nest. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ideas, thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party this week! The teapot is my favorite! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa--and thanks for Pinning.

      Delete
  8. Such great ideas love the floss one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I think the floss bobbins are my favorite too. I love pretty paper.

      Delete
  9. Oh wow...such great ideas!

    I would love for you to share this at my Facebook Group for Recipes, Crafts, and Tips and Tricks!! https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete