Monday, April 18, 2016

Jelly Jar Sewing Kit


Mason jar projects have been popping up all over the place, so I guess I may as well join in on the fun. I've had this pretty little jelly jar for a while, and I finally found the perfect way to use it. So here are my super-simple instructions for making a jelly jar sewing kit.


It all started with this emergency sewing kit I picked up at a dollar store. It's very functional--but not much to look at--so I gave it a makeover.


I knew I wanted to use the top of the jar as a pincushion, so I chose a few coordinating fabrics from my stash. Use whatever prints or solids you have around; you really only need a few scraps. For the pincushion top, cut a circle about one inch in diameter larger than the jar lid insert. Baste around the edge of the fabric circle and set it aside for a minute.


Use double-stick tape to secure a puff of polyester fiberfill to the top of the jar insert and then place the basted circle over the lid. Pull the thread tightly so it fits snugly over the insert and knot it. To cover up the underside of the lid, cut a circle from another print fabric--or from a piece of colored heavyweight paper--and tape or glue it over the bottom of the insert. (You'll see the end result in the final photo.)


When you turn the insert right side up, you'll see your finished pincushion. Now pop the pincushion into the jar ring. The fabric held my insert firmly in place--no need for glue or tape.


Now it's time to gather your sewing kit supplies. I used the thread and cute little scissors that came with the kit, but I added a few extras. To hold the needles, I swapped a piece of bright felt for the flimsy foil, and I replaced the plastic thimble with a pretty vintage one. I also added a few colorful buttons to the kit and topped the pincushion with some ball-head straight pins.


All the supplies fit perfectly in the jar--and see how nice the underside of the lid looks covered with print fabric? I admit that my jelly jar sewing kit isn't something I can carry in my purse for button emergencies, but it really looks cute in my craft room.  

9 comments:

  1. Very cute and practical. Looks easy enough to give as gifts! Visiting form The Really Crafty Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Victoria. It really would make a cute gift.

      Delete
  2. What a great project, I'd love for you to share it on http://tryit-likeit.com/link-it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! it would be a great Mother's day gift too! Pinned to The Really Crafty Link Party Pinterest board!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that jar and how you were able to take the center section out to add the pin cushion lid. So very clever. But most of all I love the transformation to sewing kit! I just had to include this in my Earth Day round up. http://www.purfylle.com/2016/04/36-earth-day-ideas.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for including my project in your roundup. I just checked it out--so many great ideas!

      Delete
  5. Super cute, and so useful! You could pick any fabric to match your craft room too! Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday

    ReplyDelete