Monday, May 2, 2016

Crochet-Covered Earrings


Who wouldn't love a pair of crochet-covered earrings for Mother's Day? They're cute and cool and--best of all--easy to make. I started with a pair of plastic earrings that I found in a jewelry box and some bright blue worsted-weight yarn. 


If you don't have any earrings just like these, don't worry. You can crochet over many types of hoop earrings--use your imagination. And of course you can use any color yarn you have on hand. I had just bought a big skein of this beautiful blue, but you really only need a small amount. You could also try yarn of a different weight, but I really like the coverage and texture that the worsted-weight created.


There are no tricky stitches involved--just single crochet. To begin, wrap the end of the yarn around one of the earring hoops and start working in single crochet. Just stitch through the center of the hoop as if you were working through a crochet stitch. As you crochet around the hoop, work over the starting end of the yarn. I spaced my stitches so they were close together, but not bunched up; I wanted to let a little of the hoop peek through. When the stitching is finished, cut the yarn and knot the last stitch closed. Use a large-eyed needle to pull the yarn ends under the stitches, and then trim any stray ends that try to poke through your crochet stitches.  


Repeat the process for the second earring and you have a one-of-a-kind Mother's Day gift--or a new pair of earrings for yourself.

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I love instant gratification projects.

      Delete
  2. Wow these earrings look really cute crocheted.
    TFS this at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are amazing, I want to try them in multicoloured wool. #RealCraftyLinkParty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the blue on hand, which I really like, but I definitely want to try this with different colors too. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. This is such a cute idea and I love the color! Thank you for sharing with us at Snickerdoodle Sunday! Pinning to share.
    ~Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurie. And thanks so much for hosting!

      Delete
  5. They look much better than the original ones! Thank you for sharing this lovely idea at The Really Crafty Link Party this week! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teresa . . . and thanks for hosting and pinning!

      Delete
  6. I love these earrings! Pinning them!
    Sinea ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. How pretty! :)

    I would love for you to share this with my Recipes, Crafts, Tips and Tricks Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no idea about crochet but I would love to learn to make pretty things like those earrings. I think it is never too late!

    This is my feature this week at Two Uses Tuesday, thanks for sharing with us and don't forget to stop by and grab your button!

    ReplyDelete