Monday, May 23, 2016

Pink Pom-Pom Garland


Even though the weather hasn't been cooperating lately, spring flowers are blooming like crazy in our garden. The peonies are getting ready to pop, and I see cherry blossoms and dogwood trees blooming all over the neighborhood. Those pretty pink flowers gave me the idea for this week's blog project--a super-simple pink pom-pom garland. Just perfect for warm-weather decorating, don't you think?


The first step is making a bunch of pom-poms. I used this pom-pom maker--one of my favorite recent purchases--which makes the process much easier than the cardboard template method.


Follow the directions that come with your pom-pom maker. For the model I have, you wrap the yarn around the "wings" on both sides . . .


then cut through the loops and tie a piece of yarn tightly around the center.


When you open up the pom-pom maker, you have a perfect little pom-pom. Just trim the ends even and fluff it up a bit. Be sure to leave the tail ends of yarn as is.


When you make as many pom-poms as you like, tie them to a piece of baby rickrack and trim the tails even with the rest of the yarn strands.

I love the look of this pink-on-pink garland, but I must confess--I chose the color scheme because I had some pink yarn and rickrack on hand that I wanted to use. Now that I've made one garland, I think I'm going to have bunches more in lots of different colors.

3 comments:

  1. Such a cute idea, and easy to customize. With yarn color and ribbon choices, the possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely! I have the exact same pom-pom maker, but I have never managed to make a pom-pom worth showing online using it. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong...
    Anyway, thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen a pompom maker in years...this looks wonderful! Love it! Thanks for sharing it with our party this week. #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete