Monday, August 29, 2016

Easy Footstool Makeover


Have you ever had a project that you keep putting off? For one reason or another, you can't find the time to tackle it or you have other projects you'd rather work on. I have had many, but this little footstool wins the prize. I've been procrastinating about giving it a makeover if for years. Now that I've finally finished, I can only ask myself--Why did I wait so long?


I bought the footstool at a local discount store ages ago. It was perfect for stashing sewing supplies, and it was small enough to tuck under a chair. It wasn't this sad looking when it was new, but with each passing month, it became more obvious that it needed help. Luckily, it only needed a face-lift--not major surgery.


I didn't spend a penny on the makeover materials. I just chose a paint color (from the many cans stored in the basement) and a coordinating fabric (from my extensive stash) and got to work. First, I removed the padded lid and hardware and gave the wooden base a light sanding. One coat of primer and three coats of pale gray eggshell paint gave the stool a fresh new look.


When it came to re-covering the lid, I at first thought about removing the original fabric. I quickly talked myself out of that idea, which would undoubtedly involved a lot of time and frustration. Instead, I just measured my fabric so it wrapped around the lid with plenty of overlap, and then used a heavy-duty stapler to fasten the fabric edges on the lid's underside. I stapled a piece of gray felt onto underside of the lid to conceal the raw fabric edges. For the final step, I re-attached the hinges. Ta-da! The project that I had put off for years took me only a few hours to complete--and isn't it adorable? Make me think I should start tackling some of my other "procrastination projects."



12 comments:

  1. It looks great! What a transformation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I have to admit, it really does look much better now.

      Delete
  2. You make it sounds so easy!! I'd love it if you would share these on the Pleasures of the NW's DIY link up!
    http://www.pleasuresofthenw.com/do-it-yourself-link-up-party-20/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww...this turned out so cute! :)

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jess--heading to your FB group now!

      Delete
  4. It looks just wonderful, and it's a very useful little footstool too! You did a great job.
    Thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party this week. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Teresa! I really appreciate the pin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm working on a recovering a chair seat right now and I always find it so hard to get the corners right and not have everything else loose. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice transformation, but I like the original too. Thanks for sharing your post with us at Creatively Crafty #CCBG http://tryit-likeit.com/link-party-it

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful makeover! Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete