Monday, August 1, 2016

Hand-Sewn Felt Seashells


When I was a young girl, I was fascinated with seashells, even though I lived far from the ocean in Northeastern Pennsylvania. A friend of my grandparents, whom my siblings and I knew as Uncle Bozo, would bring me a few shells for my collection whenever he visited. I even had a little guidebook that contained illustrations of hundreds of different seashells that could be found all over the world.

I'm not sure what happened to my original seashell collection, but over the years I have gathered many shells during my own visits to East Coast beaches. I keep them in jars and baskets around the house because I'm still fascinated by their shapes and textures.

































I tried to celebrate--not duplicate--the beauty of seashells with a collection of felt shells that appeared in the Summer 2015 issue of Craft Ideas magazine. I used felt and embroidery floss to create replicas of a scallop shell, oyster shell, sand dollar, and starfish. (I think the scallop shell is my favorite.)

If you'd like to try to sew your own seashell--or the whole collection, click here to go to the instructions and patterns on the Craft Ideas website.

17 comments:

  1. Your shells are adorable. I love how you caputured the essence of the real thing with the stitches and colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra. I really appreciate your thoughtful comments!

      Delete
  2. These are really nice! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Snickerdoodle Sunday!
    ~Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laurie, and thanks for hosting each week!

      Delete
  3. I love seashells, these are just fantastic. I am not sure I have a favorite one. Thanks for sharing with us at #CCBG Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like them, Janet. Thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  4. I saw these on your Instagram, they are beautiful I love how you used the felt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Instagram friend! Thanks so much for stopping by with your sweet comments.

      Delete
  5. These are sweet! Felt crafts are so much fun...and not just for kids :) Thanks for sharing with us at Creatively Crafty #ccbg :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lydia--and thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  6. These are lovely, what a sweet craft. Pinning to my felt board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Claire. I really appreciate the pin!

      Delete
  7. They are just beautiful, thank you so much for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi again, just a quick note to let you know that I’ve featured this post today on The Really Crafty Link Party Features. Come and grab an “I was featured” button and browse around for the other features here: http://keepingitrreal.blogspot.com.es/2016/08/the-really-crafty-link-party-30-featured-posts.html. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa . . . so honored to be featured on The Really Crafty Link Party. Thanks for hosting each week!

      Delete
  9. These are so beautiful! Looks like real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maarit, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete