Monday, October 24, 2016

Itsy-Bitsy Spider Necklace


I used to love coming up with crazy Halloween costumes every year--for myself, when I was younger, and later for my two daughters. These days, my costume consists of a black shirt with a ghost applique that I pull out of the closet once a year. But even though I don't dress up for my second-favorite holiday anymore, I still like to have some fun with Halloween accessories. This year, I came up with a simple, spooky spider necklace.


I got the idea for this project when I found these little metal spider charms at my local Michael's store. Spiders need webs to hang from, so I put some crochet thread that I had on hand to work. It's Aunt Lydia's silver metallic crochet, so it has a little sparkle.


To make the necklace, use a size 4 steel crochet hook and chain about 40 stitches. Attach one of the spiders by drawing the thread through the loop on the charm with the crochet hook, then complete the stitch to hold the charm in place. Continue working in chain stitch, adding a spider charm every 40 stitches or so until the strand reaches the length you want. Join the end chain to the beginning chain with a slip stitch and fasten it off. You can wear your necklace in a single strand or double as shown in the photo below. 



An extra treat . . .

If you're looking for another adorable Halloween accessory, how about a pair of candy corn hair clips? Click here to go to the original post, which appeared on my blog last October.


12 comments:

  1. I love the necklace idea and I haven't seen those metal spider charms before. I'm going to try and find some! Great craft ideas and great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Holly . . . Happy Halloween crafting!

      Delete
  2. This is so cute. I love those charms for Halloween. Thanks for sharing at Snickerdoodle. Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beverly, and thanks for hosting.

      Delete
  3. A perfect quick make for halloween, fun for those who are not completely petrified of spiders!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia. I guess someone who is afraid of spiders wouldn't want to wear them around her neck lol.

      Delete
  4. So cute! :)

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute idea for Halloween. Thank you for sharing at Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the necklace is lovely, and not just for Halloween either. I have a friend who would love something like this...Thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute idea! One of my kids was just singing the Itsy Bitsy spider at school last week. Thanks for linking up at the #HomeMattersParty. Hope to see you at this week's party, the door is open Friday at midnight EST.

    ReplyDelete