Monday, October 3, 2016

Mini Halloween Pillows



October has arrived, so it's time to scare up some Halloween decorations. How about a pair of frighteningly cute mini pillows? They're simple to sew from fun green and orange print fabrics, felt and rickrack.

My pillows are about 6 1/2" by 4 1/2", but you can make yours any size you like. First, cut two rectangles with rounded corners from cotton print fabric, adding 1/4" seam allowance to all edges. Now comes the fun part--creating the "Boo" and "Eek" lettering. To make the templates, choose a nice fat typeface in your word-processing software (I used Garamond bold). Remember--the fancier the font, the trickier the cutting will be. Adjust the size of the typeface so each word fits within the pillow front with at least an inch of space all around. Print the word out and pin it to a piece of black felt. Use sharp small scissors to cut the letters from the felt. Center a word on each pillow front, pin in place, and whipstitch with black thread. 



Now, let's give some attention to the pillow backs. Cut a rectangle of green or orange felt and pin it, centered, to the pillow back. Sew it in place along the side and bottom edges to create a pocket to hold small treats or a gift card.


To assemble the pillow, press the edges of the pillow front and back 1/4" to the wrong side. Pin the front and back together with wrong sides facing, sandwiching a length of wide black rickrack between the pieces. Sew the pillow together with running stitch and matching sewing thread. Leave an opening and stuff the pillow with fiberfill before you complete the stitching.

I added ribbons to my "Boo" and "Eek" pillows so I can use them as ornaments. To give your kids a Halloween morning surprise, tuck treats in the pockets and hang the pillows on your little goblins' bedroom doorknobs.

16 comments:

  1. Super cute! I love hanging decor like this on my kids doors. They are still at the age where they get all excited by something like this! Visiting from Really Crafty Party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mini pillows are adorable! Pinning. Thanks for sharing at Snickerdoodle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the cutest! Love the fabric, gingham ribbon and ric-rack! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like them--I really appreciate the pin!

      Delete
  4. These are really cute halloween pillows.
    Thanks for sharing them at Cooking and Crafting with J&J.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these and the writing on them really makes them spooky special #RealCraftyLinkParty

    ReplyDelete
  6. How much fun are these! Really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so adorable! I hope you'll share your craft with us this week at #thecraftycorner link party! Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! I love the idea of adding the back pockets. Thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable! I will take 2 sets please! I wish. I retired my sewing machine, but I may have to dust it off for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like them! (Confession--I sewed these by hand, so you don't even have to dust off your sewing machine to make them.)

      Delete
  10. OH these are too cute!!

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete