Monday, December 12, 2016

Blue Acorn and Oak Leaf Garland


Blue was my first favorite color. I had a blue dress that I wore to death when I was in elementary school, and I even had a pair of blue suede shoes (it was the '70s). Now I'd have a hard time picking a favorite color--I love them all! But I do find a blue palette soothing. Last year, I made a bunch of felt acorn and oak leaf ornaments in shades of blue and white. This year, I strung them onto a strand of white rick-rack to make a garland that I can keep up all winter.


For the acorns, I cut simple acorn and cap shapes from felt and sewed them together. I added chain stitch details with DMC embroidery floss. The white floss is DMC Satin (S5200), which has a gorgeous sheen. For extra sparkle, I embellished the acorns with glass beads, glittery buttons, and snowflake sequins. I also used rick-rack, one of my favorite embellishments, on some of the caps. To finish, I sewed pairs of acorns together, stuffing them with polyester fiberfill before I stitched them closed.


For the leaves, I embroidered chain-stitch veins on oak leaf shapes that I cut from felt. I assembled the leaf ornaments the same as the acorns--sewed pairs together and stuffed them with fiberfill. If you look closely at the photo below, you'll see that I sewed a jump to the back of each ornament for hanging.


Here are the finished ornaments, waiting to be strung onto the garland. They look so frosty and wintry, I think I may have to make myself a cup of cocoa.


31 comments:

  1. Love these - they do look very wintry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roseann. I just love blue and white--and snowflake sequins, of course.

      Delete
  2. Just beautiful. I love the colors and the sparkle the sequins add. Thanks for linking this to the Craftastic Monday Link Party at Sew Can Do. You'll be featured next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it, Cheryl. So excited to be chosen as one of your features!

      Delete
  3. These are gorgeous, I love that blue colour! So pretty. - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful colors and wonderful project! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laurie, and thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  5. Oh this garland is just lovely - the blue really makes it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's one amazing garland, and I love the colors! Thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Featured! (http://keepingitrreal.blogspot.com.es/2016/12/the-really-crafty-link-party-47-featured-posts.html)
      Congratulations and have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
    2. Wow, thanks so much, Teresa--heading to your blog now to check out the features!

      Delete
  7. These look lovely! The colors are perfect for my snowflake theme this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali. Your snowflake theme sounds beautiful!

      Delete
  8. This is so lovely! It makes for a great decoration even after the Holidays. I think I had the same shoes as you in the 70"s. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann. So nice to find another blue suede fan (and someone who remembers the 1970s haha).

      Delete
  9. These are absolutely beautiful. love love love them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww! These are SO cute!!

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jess--heading to your Facebook page now . . .

      Delete
  11. This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us at #ccbg

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love how they turned out! Great colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much--hope you have a Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  13. I am in love with these! Thanks for sharing and inspiring us at Creatively Crafty #ccbg :)

    ReplyDelete