Monday, March 13, 2017

Spring Flowers Cross-Stitch



It's snowing here in Pennsylvania as I write this blog post, so any bulbs that had started to sprout in my garden are now covered in a few inches of fluffy flakes. While I wait out this temporary setback to the arrival of spring, I thought I'd share a cross-stitch project that might help chase winter away.

One of my favorite things about cross-stitch is that it requires so few instructions. If you have a chart and a color key, you can just go ahead and transfer a design from paper to fabric stitch by stitch. You can substitute colors if you like, and you can even stitch on different types of fabric to create different sizes and effects.

This spring flowers design, which was originally published in Craft Ideas magazine, features a geometric trellis pattern of irises, tulips, and daffodils stitched with eight shades of DMC embroidery floss. (I'm not a math person, but I do appreciate geometry and symmetry in my needlework.) I stitched the model shown above on 18-count Aida, which created a design area of about 4 1/2 by 5 1/2 inches. If you use 14-count Aida, your pictured will be about 6 by 7 inches. You could also stitch it on linen or another even-weave. Experiment with different fabrics to find out which work best for you.

If you'd like to give the Spring Flowers design a try, click here to download and print the chart and floss key. As I said, cross-stitch requires little instruction. Just follow the chart and start stitching!


10 comments:

  1. Those flowers are really pretty, I wish I had time to make something like this before spring is actually here... Thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party this week. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Teresa! I'm looking out my window at two feet of snow right now, so spring can't come fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cross stitching is beautiful! Thanks for sharing at C&C with J&J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work, I see the time spent on it. Thanks for sharing with #CCBG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely spring design! (stuck under some snow here too - guess that groundhog was right after all)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely! Thank you for sharing with us at Creatively Crafty #ccbg

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty! I love your cross stitch projects, Kathleen. Thanks for sharing at Snickerdoodle. We'll be featuring this at tomorrow's party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cross stitch. zjudy perfect for Spring! Thank you for sharing at the Snickerdoodle Create~Bake~Make link party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is really beautiful! I admire anyone with that talent! Thanks for sharing@ #HomeMattersParty
    Jeannee

    ReplyDelete