Monday, May 1, 2017

Groovy Goldfish Beanbag Bookend


This cute little goldfish is my kind of pet. She requires no care, and she adds a splash of color to the shelf while she holds books in place. The word groovy may be betraying my age, but I think this design has a definite retro vibe. The neon color palette and gradient bubble pattern definitely deserve to be called groovy, don't you think? Plus it's a beanbag (filled with rice). You don't get much more retro than a beanbag.

This project requires two skills--cross-stitching and some simple sewing. I used 16-count Aida fabric and six-strand DMC embroidery floss (one of my favorite crafting supplies, as you know). The beanbag is assembled from another favorite crafting material--WoolFelt from National Nonwovens. The colors I used are Mac 'n Cheese and Sunburst.


This project was featured in the 2016 Summer issue of Craft Ideas magazine. Visit the project page here for a black-and-white chart and assembly instructions. If you'd like to download and print a color PDF chart, click here.

(Tip: As you can see from the photos here, the zigzag background is created with half cross-stitches. If you find the half cross-stitch symbols on the charts confusing, you can just refer to the photos.)


13 comments:

  1. How adorable! I love the colors! Thanks for sharing at Snickerdoodle. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It`s so beautiful! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever idea! I love the colorful fishy and of course I'm always up for a DIY that goes with my books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I agree--I love when I find a project that combines my love of crafting and reading.

      Delete
  4. It's so cute, I love it! Thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party this week. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute. I should get back to doing some cross stitching.
    Hugs,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! Thanks for linking up at the Home Matters Link Party! We hope to see you again next week:) #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara, and thanks for hosting each week!

      Delete
  7. I can’t help but want the goldfish beanie to be functional. I would have to glue it to a box of some sort. Very cute though!

    ReplyDelete